File Transfer Problems v4.00

Talk about anything about MSN Messenger for mIRC or leave some comments.
G3n7r0

File Transfer Problems v4.00

Post by G3n7r0 »

Hi. I'm using v4.0 of your great script, winxp sp3.

Ran into a few problems with file transfers.
While trying to send (and receive) a file to a person using MSN Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.206) he gets the following error:
The invitation from *** to start File Transfer was automatically declined because *** is using and older version of Windows Live Messenger.
I'm guessing that's because of the new Microsoft security implementations and that there is nothing you can do about it.

But this one is strange.

When receiving a file from someone with MSN 8.5 script stops after commencing file transfer with error:
/socklisten: bind error (line 1683, msn.mrc).

Port forwarding issue?
G3n7r0

Re: File Transfer Problems v4.00

Post by G3n7r0 »

Sorry about the line number.

The script stops at the first socklisten:
alias msnfileaccept {
set %msn.file.willy notreceive
sockclose msnfilelisten
socklisten msnfilelisten 6891
andyc
MSN for mIRC Creator

Post by andyc »

Hmm.... bugger!

It worked perfectly a little while ago, but it appears microsoft have been fiddling....

I'll have to look in to it, thanks for the info. Does the other person have Windows Messenger on their PC (the version that came with Windows XP - no adverts)? It would be interesting to know if it worked with that.
G3n7r0

Post by G3n7r0 »

The guy with version 2009 has msn plus, the other person with msn 8.5 has it clean.

The other 'bug' I noticed. Sometimes in the middle of conversation this pops up:

MSG ***@gmail.com ** 91
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/x-msmsgscontrol
TypingUser: ***@gmail.com

The other person hasn't entered any of the smilies or anything so I'm guessing it's on my end.

A bug in alias saytype?
I have my show typing off.
andyc
MSN for mIRC Creator

Post by andyc »

Yeah, I thought that was something I had sorted, clearly not! It can happen if someone talks to you very quickly. I assume the email address it displays is the address of the other person?
G3n7r0

Post by G3n7r0 »

Yes, the email address was from the person typing.

It happened only a couple of times, so it's not a big deal.

And I'm pretty sure that socklisten problem from earlier is connected to portforwarding issues, I'll try file transfers on different connection when I get the opportunity.
andyc
MSN for mIRC Creator

Post by andyc »

Yeah, that thing popping up with the other persons email address in could happen occasionally if the other person sends a number of messages very quickly.

As far as the file sending problem goes, it's very likely that it is a port forwarding issue. The ports aren't automatically forwarded, you need to set port 6891 up in your router to forward to your local IP address. The "bind" error could be because the port was already in use in your PC, so if that happens again a restart may solve it, which will close whichever application is holding the port open.

If you consistently get "bind" errors then let me know.