Scripts removed after installing MSN for mIRC?

Talk about anything about MSN Messenger for mIRC or leave some comments.
habl

Scripts removed after installing MSN for mIRC?

Post by habl »

Hi all.

I'm a bit sad after installing MSN for mIRC 4.0. I wanted to try 4.0 (used 3.70 before).
What I did was opening the script editor and loaded the install script. When the script asks to close mirc, I confirmed. But when I started mIRC again, most of my scripts appeared empty! I checked the files in the mirc folder itself, and all script files in the mirc rootdirectory were 0 bytes. Only the scripts in subdirectory's are still there. Unfortunatly I didn't made a backup of my scripts (shame on me!), so everything is gone. I really have no idea how this happened.

I'm using an older version of mirc, 6.17, running on windows xp servicepack 2.
Maybe it can be caused by the older version of mirc? In the msn zipfile were some dll's that allready exists and I overwrited them, probably a bit stupid of me to.

Well, I just wanted to tell you what happend, maybe you can't do anything with it, maybe you can. I'm not sure if the msn script itself is the blame, I looked into the install script and didn't see weird things, but I tought you should know it anyway.
andyc
MSN for mIRC Creator

Re: Scripts removed after installing MSN for mIRC?

Post by andyc »

Thanks for letting me know. I can't think of a mechanism that would cause the rest of your scripts to be erased. Did they still appear in the "View" menu in the scripts editor, just empty?

Could you tell me which scripts you had that disappeared? I can then see if there are any conflicts. It could have something to do with the version of mIRC you have, 6.17 is a very old version (ironically MSN for mIRC probably wouldn't have worked on a version that old anyway).
habl

Post by habl »

Whoops, sorry for the late response :p

The scripts that dissapeared were just randomly, all self made. Most of them in the root folder of mIRC. I think it were about 30 files, all doing totally different things.
The MSN script itself loaded without any problems, but I didn't test it anymore because of the frustration haha

But maybe it's a good thing to note that it will only work in mirc 6.3x and higher?
andyc
MSN for mIRC Creator

Post by andyc »

You should get a warning when you run the script on anything below the supported version when you try to run the script.

I've had another look at the install script and still can't quite understand what happened, might have to put it down to one of those things. :?
habl

Post by habl »

andyc wrote:You should get a warning when you run the script on anything below the supported version when you try to run the script.

I've had another look at the install script and still can't quite understand what happened, might have to put it down to one of those things. :?
I didn't get the warning, but still, I think it's probably some weird problem with the mircversion or some of my scripts. I think you should just keep in mind that it happend before in case somebody else reports the same problem and let it rest for now. It's to hard to trace what really caused the problem :)

Thanks anyway for looking at the problem! :)